Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Don't Follow Me

Posted by Anonymous.

She is falling. The bottom has dropped out, and she is hurtling towards oblivion. There is nothing to grab onto, nothing to save her, she is falling.

The phone has fallen out of her hand. It lies on the floor of the van. She stares at it. She looks up to see her mother and sister turned around from the front of the vehicle. She can see their mouths moving, but she has forgotten how to hear. She has forgotten how to breathe.

She looks out the windows of the car and sees people in the yards of this pretty development. Mowing lawns, setting up sprinklers, walking dogs. How are these people still moving?

She realizes she has stopped breathing. She has started to shake. She hears something, finally. The voice, it is her husband. It is coming from the phone on the floor. He is shrieking obscenities, screaming for her to answer him.

“What is this? What did you do? What am I looking at?” He is sobbing, making guttural noises.

Her sister takes the phone and speaks calmly, “We are coming home now. What happened? What is going on?”

“Your sister is a whore.” He screams, “Ask your sister, she’s a fucking whore.”

And then there is silence again.

Her mother has pulled the van over. Turned around in the seat to look at her. Eyes searching, questioning, bewildered.

“I was having an affair,” she whispers, barely audible.

“What? With who? When? How?” The questions come at her rapid fire. She is shaking and quiet.

The shaking becomes more violent and she begins to lose her grip on reality. She is moaning and sobbing, rocking back and forth, “My babies. He’s going to take my babies.”

With this, her mother snaps into action and calls her to attention.

“You need to speak to me. What happened? Tell me now.” Her mother’s authoritative tone grabs her attention just as it did in childhood.

“It was an e-mail relationship, with a guy from college. It started on Facebook.” She doesn’t say the name but she doesn’t have to. Both her mother and sister know immediately who it is.

“Did you act on this relationship?” her mother inquires, trying not to say the word sex.

“No. But there were pictures and graphic emails.” And he saw them all. Oh my God. He saw them all. How is this happening?

She begins to unravel again. The momentary calm is gone, and she borders on hysteria. She screams that she needs a cigarette, although no one in the car smokes. Her mother once again snaps her back to attention with her tone.

“We need a plan of action. First of all, where are the kids? “

She looks at the clock, 8:45pm. They are in bed, exhausted from a long weekend. It is a Sunday night. Having just spent the weekend in New Jersey and then all day swimming, they were tucked in by 7:30pm.

“They are sleeping,” she says.

“Okay. You need to talk to him,” her mother says, always the problem solver, the trouble shooter. There is nothing that she can’t fix. With a glue gun and heartfelt apology, this would be right as rain in no time.

Her mother and sister discuss quietly how they plan to handle the situation. Her husband said he wants her out. He wants her to get her shit and leave.

The focus of their discussion has shifted. The focus of concern is the children. “…don’t want to wake them…” “…I can stay with her…” “…she can stay at my house…”

She has three children. They have three children, six, four and two. Her babies.

She shoves their faces out of her head, too painful to think about right now. Her heart might explode.

She can only think about the leather stitching on the seat in front of hers in the van. She wants to die. She wants to stop existing. She wants to disappear.

She can’t say these things in front of her mother and sister because they will take them seriously, as if she might actually commit suicide. Would she? She guesses that this feeling is why people take that step. She couldn’t do that, wouldn’t do that.

Wouldn’t mind if something killed her but wouldn’t take it into her own hands. That would just add insult to injury.

She will have to face this like a grown up.

She is just starting to breathe again when they pull into the driveway of her house.

The violent shaking begins again. They walk in the door. She is flanked by her mother and sister.

This situation is awkward and humiliating for everyone.

He is sitting at the table and has the laptop open.

When he sees her mother and sister, there is a slight change, almost imperceptible to anyone but her. He softens and there is sadness behind his immediate rage.

He demands that she log back into the e-mail account. While in the thick of the initial incident, she had changed her password to lock him out of the account.

“Show them. Show them what you did.” He is shaking, too, she can see.

“Facebook. That fucking Facebook,” he repeats, over and over. “How could I be so stupid? So fucking stupid?”

When her mother and sister finally leave, sad and scared, the house is quiet. The home that they built together.

She looks at him. She waits. He can’t look at her. After an interminable silence, he says, “Why?”

The question hangs in the air. Unanswerable. Inexcusable. Unbelievable.

Mentioned in 20% of all divorce cases according to a survey by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), it seems that Facebook is certainly adding fuel to the fire.

In some cases, Facebook is used as way to collect evidence in an already heated battle. In other cases, like mine, Facebook is merely the gateway. The Devil’s playground. The Garden of Eden. The place where a woman feeling stifled by the boredom of being a middleclass wife and mother goes to find some excitement.

It all started so innocently. A simple, “Hey there! Long time, no see! You look great!” It moved into a daily communication. Simple stuff, “your kids are so cute,” “your new deck looks great.” Then there is the shift, so slight, almost unnoticeable, “Remember the time…” and then you are in, involved. You are thinking of another person right there in the middle of your perfect, amazing life.

It slides so naturally away from the “social network” to a more private exchange, e-mail. And then the phone calls begin. The text messages.

It’s all so easy, nobody is getting hurt. It’s not “real.” It’s all digital. Nothing “bad” is happening, just two old friends talking, and then there is the proposal, the mention of “what if…,” the innocent lunch meeting. In the moment there are choices to be made.

I made my choice. I chose not to go to a hotel. I chose not to take that final step. But, in the end, it didn’t really matter. I was already there. I had already put myself in the situation. I made it real.

And I had to answer the question. Why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One year ago, my world fell apart.

One year ago, I almost lost everything.

But I didn’t.

We survived.

I followed an angel down through the gates; I can only thank God it was not too late.

I found my place. I can only thank God it was not too late.

http://youtu.be/-nUgEt_MZOQ

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thing. After years of him rejecting me, I made some incredibly bad decisions and I did the same thing you did. I told myself it wasn't real either, because it was just digital.

It has been almost two years and he hasn't forgiven me. Anytime I make a mistake now he pulls 'the mistakes' I made out of the bag and will verbally attack me as viciously as he can.

I don't know what to do. If I didn't have two little kids I'd tell him to leave. But I'm so sad, still so lonely. I hate myself almost as much as he hates me.

Anonymous said...

My ex boyfriend kept trying to re-do his high school years via facebook correspondence with girls that wouldn't have given him a second glance when he was a chubby nerd. With work at the gym, some advice from GQ and a big important job, he flashed it all and all it did was feed his newly-inflated ego. I am actually embarrassed for him!

To act upon things with the false security of nostalgia is not a new phenomena but with easy access via Facebook, it's a growing issue.

I am glad this writer was able to sort things out even though it was too late. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I understand, really. A friend [more like friend of a friend] but local writer, Kyran Pittman wrote about this in her new book, Planting Dandelions, a chapter called Crush. There's a version of it in the June Good Housekeeping. I think you should check it out.
I found myself with a crush on a coworker just before he switched companies so it didn't have time to 'run it's course' (read: me figure out that was stupid.) Nothing happened, except a lot of thoughts. It was strange. I love my husband. 100%. But, I wanted that guy too. Even if just once. I talked it out with a friend, and just admitting it aloud that I was thinking these thoughts made everything go back to normal. I would like to hope that if given the opportunity, I could have said no, but I'll never know.

Anonymous said...

I have been there and back. We survived it. it was not easy to get to where we are today but I'm glad he did not throw in the towel. He makes me happy and complete

Anonymous said...

Just like the other commenters I've been here too. When I first started dating my now fiancee I was still in a "digital relationship" with my ex from college. But I acted on the relationship and met up with him several times, broke it off with my boyfriend but ended up realizing it was him I was meant to be with all along.

Things are much better now, obviously since we are engaged but it was so hard to get out of that trap. As much as I love finding long lost friends on the internet, finding long lost love is really hard.

Lia said...

Not to add any pressure to the creator of this site, but it's been almost 2 months since the last post. Will anything new be posted soon, or should I give up checking? (I do love this site, and I'd like to see it keep going.)

Mike said...

When will there be more updates??? additional entries?

Mike said...

So is this blog dead?? too bad since i loved the entries...

Anonymous said...

It's rude to your readers to just stop posting without any explanation. Especially since we can see that 'upstairs' posts are going on as usual. Why not just explain that you're no longer doing this part of the site? Given an explanation, we'd all understand. Leaving us in limbo isn't cool.

Hamlin said...

Thanks for sharing with us..
Happy Moms realize that the days are long but the years short. It's not that they are impervious to stress, it's that they have learned to lower their expectations and be in the moment when things get difficult. When your toddler is puking all over the house, this is not the time to reorganize the hall closet. A sick day then turns into a time to create sweet memories of hours spent reading and cuddling on the couch.

Uptravi said...

"Is this a way of eating I can follow long term?"
Which brings me to my test: I call it the "Can I eat that way for the rest of my life?" Test. I know, it does not exactly roll off your tongue, but it gets the point across.
Keto Gedeon

james said...

Have you ever thought about taking male enhancers to liven up your sex life. Many men ask themselves, should I take male enhancement pills? There is no short answer to that question, but most men have reason to say yes.
Bionatrol Pro Enhance

james said...

extensively tested for your assurance and safety in mind and to be chemical free, steroid free and complies with all international safety standards, always check their product ingredients and labels before you purchase.
Ryzex Male Enhancement

james said...

Loss of muscle also leads to loss of tone underneath the skin leaving you soft and unshapely with no form or contour. If you lose weight too rapidly, your skin won't have time to adjust either. Also muscle is what gives you strength and loss of it means a weak body.
Keto Trim 800

james said...

If this is the case, then the fourth day is a complete day of rest. In order to be completely successful in your healthy weight loss and quick weight loss journey, you must give your body time to recuperate. You are giving your body the nutrients that it needs to recuperate from your healthy weight loss and quick weight loss efforts, but the last ingredient is rest.
Prime Choice Nutrition

Ronaldo said...

The muscle you have is not there forever. If you don't feed it and don't use it - you lose it. A proper plan with right combination of resistance and cardiovascular training with adequate progression and a right nutrition plan to support it can help you achieve this. Exercise only
Rapid Fast Keto Boost

Watson said...

What is Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium Sagittatum)? Horny Goat Weedis a hardy perennial reported to have aphrodisiac qualities. This affect was allegedly discovered by a Chinese goat herder who noticed sexual activity in his flock after they ate the weed. Used to restore sexual

Celaxryn RX

james said...

Are you ready? I am going to tell you in no uncertain terms what you have to do to lose all the weight you want in 3 easy to do steps. However, in order for this to work you must maintain your focus and discipline everyday to keep doing the steps until you reach your desired results.
Spartan Keto

james said...

What is Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma Longifolia) or Malaysian Ginseng Long Jack? Tongkat Aliis from a small tree in Malaysia and Indonesia. It is used as a relief for a variety of ailments and locals in Southeast Asia are convinced that it can improve desire and sexual initiation. Tongkat Ali is
Zydenafil

james said...

Some of the commonly used pieces of assistive golf equipment are ball teeing devices that help a golfer to tee up their ball while in standing position, magnetic ball markers which
Electric Back Massager Reviews

james said...

Many people attribute this lack of effectiveness to poor willpower on the part of the dieter, but recent research has shown that the problem is more complex than this. A 2011 study in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that losing weight changes the way the body produces hormones associated with metabolism. This means that people who attempt to

New You Keto

james said...

Relaxation techniques like meditation and breathing exercises are very effective too. Yoga exercises include some asanas that help in getting rid of the ugly problem of erectile dysfunction. These relaxation techniques should be carried out on a daily basis to get positive results in a short span of time. Even a day's break could ruin it all for you. You might have to start from the scratch if you take a break with your exercise routine. Regularity is the key to enlarging your penis if you go about it the natural way.
Viril XL AlphaMAX Pro

james said...

A definitive tip to inevitable achievement: standard exercise and an adjusted eating regimen. Add one cheat day to your eating routine to free yourself of yearnings.
Eat a sound eating regimen loaded with bunches of vegetables, organic products, and entire grain items.
Slimphoria Ketoo

james said...

Out of people who do lose weight effectively, the most viable target is a loss of about 10 percent of their highest weight. That's the number recommended by the National Institutes of Health for people who are obese or overweight. Losing more than this can be difficult and is rarely effective.
KGX Keto

james said...

It's not just poor rates of effectiveness that make weight loss a complicated subject. Trying to get rid of fat can also be dangerous. This problem is greater with extreme diets that promise to take off a lot of weight very quickly. These diets can encourage loss of muscle instead of
True Keto Boost

james said...

If you want to lose weight, selecting the right weight loss program is absolutely essential to your success. There are a seemingly unlimited number of weight loss programs available on the market today so how can you decide which one is right for you? This is a question I see a lot from both men and women looking for the right program to follow. It's a confusing situation to be in I can imagine; wanting to lose weight but not knowing which program best serves your needs. So what do you do?
Meta Keto Boost

james said...

to treat sexual weakness and impotency problems in males. It contains various minerals and vitamins which can be used without any direction from doctors. It got no side effects when comes to use unlike other ayurvedic treatments. It can be used not only sexual weakness and impotency but also helps to control other physical diseases like cardio, diabetes, obesity etc. It also enhances immune system immensely.
InstaHard

james said...

As we all know, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so when you exercise and diet fat is not simply "disappearing" off your body. What occurs is a form change, just like water and steam. The glucose and sugar that is harnessed from carbohydrates are the first fuel sources.
Empowered Boost

james said...

A goal does not have to be just about the weight you lose or want to lose. You could write a goal using your body measurements or percentage of body fast lost, or it may be your desirable clothing size. Set your goals in a way that they are attainable. For example, I want to lose 15 pounds by Christmas or I want to drop 2 dress sizes by my sister's wedding.
Thin Zone Keto

james said...

We need to move away from our family rooms and back into the kitchen. During this time eat slowly and spend some time with your family. Talk to the spouse and children. Pay attention
Thin Zone Keto

james said...

loss. Water hydrates your body, is used to flush toxins from your system, and keeps your lungs moist during cardiovascular activity. It is recommended to take in 8 - 10 8oz. glasses of water per day, and I recommend that you start doing so. Your body must have plenty of water to do its

Number One Keto

james said...

Weight Loss Truth: Can someone say E-X-C-U-S-E-S? I will not deny that there might be tendencies for heavy parents to raise heavy children who will remain heavy their whole lives, but I don't believe that there is actually a "fat" gene or DNA out there. What we do inherit from our family, primarily those who directly raised us, are our views and beliefs.

Keto Shred Biotic Immunity Booster

james said...

liver functioning. If you reach a point where you have very little fat or muscle, your body will metabolize your organs to keep your brain functioning leading to heart attack, stroke and liver and kidney failure.
Keto Shred Biotic Immunity Booster

james said...

perfect world where I wouldn't gain any weight and my arteries were clog-less, I would love to eat it several times per week, well more like every day. However, I know that those aren't the healthiest of food choices so I have it about 2-3 times per month. I am not giving up my favorite foods, I am just eating it in moderation so that it doesn't catch up to me in the form of excess weight.
PuriGlow Cream

james said...

to all of the nutrition, dieting, and fitness information that I send to all of my members. You will also be able to build the workout routine that is best for you, and ensure your success in Phase II of your healthy weight loss and quick weight loss journey today!
Weiht loss is useful for some conditions. It is of genuine advantage in diabetes, hypertension, shortness of breath, joint issues and raised cholesterol.

Xtreme Keto Boost

james said...

use! Exercise is the next key ingredient to the amazing recipe of your healthy weight loss and quick weight loss. Not only must you exercise, but you must do so intelligently. There is no need for you to try to kill yourself in the beginning. Instead, it is better for you to take baby steps and to work yourself up to advanced workout routines. The road to a healthy weight

Cylophin RX

james said...

You blow it up and it becomes bigger. The same theory applies to your penis, make the chambers inside it bigger and it not only grows wider, but longer.
If you want to add size and length naturally without the harmful side effects of natural male enhancemen
Empowered x Energy

james said...

age, degree of weight loss, and a few other factors he may result in large breasts, large and/or sagging breasts, or satisfactory breasts following weight loss. Large and/or sagging breasts in men is called gynecomastia. Here liposuction alone may be satisfactory, however
Reliant Keto

Intuniv said...

Gatorade Performance Series & Propel Fitness Water - Jam packed with electrolytes, I try to drink the Performance Series an hour before my workout, and follow my workout with a Propel Fitness Water.
Reliant Keto

Udenyca said...

For some, this "comfort zone" is relatively fat, while others settle into a weight that is quite lean. For me, for example, I find that my body is most comfortable around 11% body fat (which would currently put me at about 200 lbs). I don't have to watch my calories too closely and I can cheat several times per week, and I'll just stay around 11%.
Nature Clarity Keto

Udenyca said...

The leaner you become, the longer it takes to lose fat healthily (the key, as you want to preserve as much muscle and strength as possible while losing fat). If you're at 25% body fat, it's very possible to lose 2-3 pounds of fat per week for the first several weeks. If you're at 10% body fat and are making a run for single digits, however, 2-3 pounds of fat per week would be impossible without dangerous drugs.
Befit Keto Cut

Harper said...

As you know the orgasm is the sexual climax of this process, which brings pleasure emotions. According to most of the cases a one teaspoon (2-15 milliliters) of semen has about 40 to 150 million sperm cells in it, and the most interesting thing is that the "first wave" is the largest

Viadine Male Enhancement

james said...

Recall what I said about the number one reason diets fail, which is a lack of compliance. The lead researcher of this recent study stated:
Befit Keto Cut

Femara said...

Diet plans that offer weight loss by drinking their product for several meals followed by a "sensible dinner;" diets that allow you to eat their special cookies for most meals along with their pre-planned menu; or diets that attempt to have you eating their bars, drink, or pre-made meals, are of the diet A variety covered above. They're easy to follow but destined for

Bio Jolt Male Enhancement

William said...

deficit and feed the body too much - it won't touch the stored fuel reserves. On the hand if you drastically cut your calories and do not feed your muscle properly or don't exercise and use your muscle, you will lose it. Fat loss is about finding that right balance.
Keto Now Real

james said...

Unfortunately, the majority of people base their beverage choices on taste and usually upon it being a sweet taste, which means too much sugar. However, there are a few key beverages that can give you some flavor variety, as well as give you a healthy weight loss and quick weight loss boost as well!
Virtus Strong Testo Boost Pro

james said...

Now, this is not to say that the road to significant weight loss will be easy or that you will not have to suffer a bit to reach your desired results. There will be days when you feel like throwing in the towel and giving up.
Bio Jolt Male Enhancement